New Spring, New Job, New Attitude!
It's funny how things work. Since January 1, I've been saying that 2010 is going to be my year. On January 27th, I was laid off, again. A blessing in disguise?? I think so. I interviewed, and interviewed, and interviewed until this great position was put in front of me. Today I started work and I have to say, it was AMAZING!
Let's go back to the layoff...
I was with a company for about 10 months after I was laid off from a job that I worked for nearly 5 years. They knew that I came from being laid off, yet, they decided to lay me off as well. Now, I could say that it was ok because it was a layoff, but I was the ONLY person that was actually laid off. And, that day, they moved someone else into my position. I didn't care what they called it, I got a severance and got the heck outta there! The funny thing is that I was actually alright with this. I HATED my job! My boss was a controlling, micro-managing mess and I was about 5 seconds away from going crazy. I kicked myself every day for taking that position. I was grateful, but I can't honestly say that I wanted it...and after working there for 10 months, I know why. (I definitely need to listen to my gut more often.)
After the layoff, I was much better. I got a chance to regroup and figure out what my next move was going to be. And guess what? I was HAPPY! I immediately began interviewing and was offered 2 positions! The one that I accepted was the best one for me. This job met most of the criteria on my checklist. The main things...I wanted a job with more responsibility, a company that wasn't struggling to make ends meet, and a boss that wasn't a micro-managing madman/madwoman that spent all of his or her time worried about what I was doing. I got it all, plus more! I'm a manager without having to manage a bunch of people. I'm working in the field that I love, and I'm able to handle all of my business without someone trying to turn me into their clone. I'm actually doing what I love and I'm able to give my opinions and ideas without being reprimanded.
The timing couldn't have been better! Spring has arrived and to me, that signifies a new beginning. Flowers are blooming and so is my new career. I'm more than excited to be part of a team that knows it's mission and will do what it takes to get it done. With all of this, I have a totally new attitude. 2010 IS MY YEAR!
Let's go back to the layoff...
I was with a company for about 10 months after I was laid off from a job that I worked for nearly 5 years. They knew that I came from being laid off, yet, they decided to lay me off as well. Now, I could say that it was ok because it was a layoff, but I was the ONLY person that was actually laid off. And, that day, they moved someone else into my position. I didn't care what they called it, I got a severance and got the heck outta there! The funny thing is that I was actually alright with this. I HATED my job! My boss was a controlling, micro-managing mess and I was about 5 seconds away from going crazy. I kicked myself every day for taking that position. I was grateful, but I can't honestly say that I wanted it...and after working there for 10 months, I know why. (I definitely need to listen to my gut more often.)
After the layoff, I was much better. I got a chance to regroup and figure out what my next move was going to be. And guess what? I was HAPPY! I immediately began interviewing and was offered 2 positions! The one that I accepted was the best one for me. This job met most of the criteria on my checklist. The main things...I wanted a job with more responsibility, a company that wasn't struggling to make ends meet, and a boss that wasn't a micro-managing madman/madwoman that spent all of his or her time worried about what I was doing. I got it all, plus more! I'm a manager without having to manage a bunch of people. I'm working in the field that I love, and I'm able to handle all of my business without someone trying to turn me into their clone. I'm actually doing what I love and I'm able to give my opinions and ideas without being reprimanded.
The timing couldn't have been better! Spring has arrived and to me, that signifies a new beginning. Flowers are blooming and so is my new career. I'm more than excited to be part of a team that knows it's mission and will do what it takes to get it done. With all of this, I have a totally new attitude. 2010 IS MY YEAR!

2 comments
From how you described your previous place of employment to the feeling of relief in the air towards the new job, I have to believe that, yes, the layoff was a definite blessing in disguise.
REPLYToo funny @ Now, I could say that it was ok because it was a layoff, but I was the ONLY person that was actually laid off. And, that day, they moved someone else into my position. I didn't care what they called it, I got a severance and got the heck outta there!
I feel you.
I followed you on Twitter.
Thanks for the comment. Yes, it was definitly a relief. And when I said that I took the money and ran, I wasn't kidding. LOL! They gave me 5 days to look over the paperwork and decide if I wanted to take the severence package, but I signed the paperwork the moment they gave it to me, packed up my tiny bit of personal items, and smiled the whole elevator ride (19 floors) and all the way to the car. It hit me in the car, but I didn't care. That's how I knew it was a blessing.
REPLYI will log into twitter and accept you. I will also follow your blog. :-)
Let's hear your thoughts...